Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Book Review: Contessa by Lori L. Otto

First book review of the year! Let me give you a quick background about this book. Contessa is actually a side story of Lori L. Otto's magnificent Emi Lost and Found Series, a series I read (more like devoured) in November. I LOVE that series. It is so amazing! This is the story about Emi and Jack's daughter Livvy and is Young Adult compared to the Lost and Found series which is Adult Contemp. 

Contessa by Lori L. Otto

Book One of the YA/New Adult Choisie series by the author of Emi Lost & Found.

When she was four, a generous couple welcomed orphan Olivia Sophia into their lives. As she grew up, her parents made good decisions for her, raising “Livvy” to be an intelligent and creative young girl. Now sixteen, three people influence many of her choices: her first love, her second father, and a third man who speaks to her through his artwork.

Livvy’s father is practical and steadfast; even-tempered and quietly observant. She’s an artist who acts on her emotions and thrives on attention. Unhappy with their differences– and misunderstanding her father’s methods– Livvy chooses to focus on the similarities she shares with an enigmatic painter from her mother’s past. Her overactive imagination leads her down an obsessive path– one that only stands to hurt everyone around her.

The distraction of a new boyfriend has the potential to end her search and reunite her family, but his involvement in her life could be just as devastating, taking Livvy away from her father for good.


Review

I finished this book last night....and honestly I don't even want to pick another book up because I just want to read more about this family. I was totally spoiled by reading all three of Emi's books in a row because now I just want more of Livvy's story!!!

So what did I do???? What any self respected person would.

I stalked her instagram and liked all of her pictures. Because that's what you do when you just can't let of a story, right? Right????? 

Anyways.....

I fell in love with Emi's story and was so happy to see her continue on with these characters and we get to see Livvy's story! Livy is a typical teenager, full of angst and on the cusp of adulthood. Jack and Emi are amazing parents but Livvy clings onto a person from Emi's past, trying to make sense of who she is. Livvy is also a bit infatuiated not only with this person, but with a boy. Jon Scott.

"You're a complete distraction, and you've completely disarmed me of all propriety and manners and good intentions."

Lori L. Otto doesn't give us clean stories that easily end with fluffy HEA, no  she gives us tales of a person going through a journey and though that journey you get to see the friends and family that surround her. These people are the ones that will help Livvy through whatever lies in her path. I think we see that in this book, the set up for Livvy's future. 

Livvy is very much a teenager. She has lived a pretty plush life, let's be real here. Jack and Emi have through their hardships in order for Livvy to never go without. Oh Jack. I felt for him as he deals with his daughter that is quickly growing up. I hurt for him and had multiple times during the book where I had to slap my forehead when Livvy does something stupid. (Which can seem like a lot...)

"I'm telling you exactly how I feel right now. If I can't show you tonight, I've got to make sure I communicate it somehow." 

Jack and Livvy are trying to figure each other out. Livvy is also testing any boundary put in front of her, most with her new boyfriend Jon. Jon *hearts in eyes* I loved Jon because he is so kind and acts much older for his age. He is smart and knows that Livvy has some growing up to do.

"Exactly. You're not a kid anymore. You're the woman I want to be with. And I like the way it sounds. I love you, Olivia." 

Overall, this book, to me, was about family and how strong that strength is. It was also about love, new love and finding your balance as a teenager trying to be everything you want to be. I seriously can't wait until the next book in this series, because I love watching Livvy grow and I love reading about this family. Love. So trust me, you want to not only check out this book but also check out the Lost and Found Series as well. 


1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of this book before, but your review makes me want to check it out! Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what ya think!