Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday Inspiration: Martin Luther King Jr Day





Most kids during a book fair wanted to grab the flashy new coloring book or an adventure book or the crafty books that had titles about how to make friendship bracelets. I was not most kids. During a book fair around 2nd or 3rd grade I remember buying a diary with a cat on it and this



From an early age I was fascinated with the topic of civil rights. I was enamored with the idea that people were treated differently because of their color of their skin. I didn't understand it because they were people just like you and me. They felt the same, their heart beat the same, they experienced heartache, joy, longing, empathy,  and sorrow just like me. I was lucky enough to be raised in a household that was filled with open minds. A household where we accepted and loved everyone despite of our differences, whether on the inside or out. I had no room to judge but only room in my mind and heart to understand and accept. 

So today, on this day filled with hope from a man who had a dream, I challenge each one of you to find something good in each person you meet. Something small or big, and smile. Because when it comes down to it, we know nothing but ourselves, and to be true to ourselves we should be true to others. We can't to even begin to understand most people's trials and hills they have to climb but we can help them with a simple smile, a compliment, or a positive thought. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what ya think!