Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Music.

Growing up, I was constantly surrounded by music. I was a kid that had 2 working parents but didn't spend any time in day care, so I spend a lot of time with my parents, and music seemed to always be playing in the background. I grew up with Fleetwood Mac, Van Morrison, and The Beetles. In the fourth grade my first CD was a Pop 60s CD (and Hanson, dont judge :) My brother shared the same music taste and I would fall asleep listening to oldies through the wall. That paired with my love of musicals and my years in dance, music has always been an important part in my life. I am constantly listening to music, in the car, at school, walking between classes, cleaning, cooking dinner, getting ready for the day. It's always there. I am always up for discovering new artists and am pretty open to music genres (minus most rap and country).

Going to concerts and listening to live music is, for me, one of the best experiences in the world. To set in a room with music filling room consuming you can be amazing. I hope on this blog I can highlight songs that I are filling my head and can't get off repeat. Below is my spotify mix I listened to through the majority of my first semester of grad school.






Highlights from this list:

Dance For You- Dirty Projectors: A fun song that I listened to multiple times on a weekend, it has a catchy tune. Folky type music.

Weights & Measures- Dry the River: This song I found on a spotify radio and I noticed as it is a song that really builds.

Carousel- Iron and Wine: Iron and Wine is a classic and this song tells a beautiful story, as most of their songs do.

Born to Die- Lana Del Rey: This had a bit of R&B to this song but I am all for girl power and Del Rey oozes it. For those who like Neko Case and Cat Power,  I suggest looking into this artist.

Have you Forgotten- Red House Painters: This band from the 1990s weaves a ghost of a song in Have You Forgotten. For the quiet times in our lives. I have been loving this song since 2005 due to a suggestion from a great friend.

Half Moon- Blind Pilot: This portland based band has tunes that can be played over and over again. Found this gem on a friend's Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what ya think!