Saturday, January 12, 2013

Through the Ever Night

My Rating: 5 Stars! 

Blurb: It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.



I love dystopian novels. They have the perfect combination of action, romance, and hope for new beginnings. This is the second book in a trilogy by Veronica Rossi and it did not disappoint. In this book there are many aspects that are appealing.

The first is the writing of Rossi. I am a sucker for writing that utilizes imagery to create a vivid visual. Not only does Rossi doe this in describing the unique world Perry and Aria live in, she also does it in showing the true emotion these two characters have. Examples are :

"She heard the trees rustle with a breeze, and then felt it brush cool against her cheeks. No one planted her as firmly in her skin as he did" 

"When he finally stepped outside, the air smelled ashy an carried the sting of Aether. It smelled of ruin. The sky churned dark and bright. Marbled and shifting." 

It killed me that Aria and Perry each had their own responsibilities, but understood the reasons behind it. I thought that Perry really grew in this book as he took on the responsibilities of his people. It was interesting to get into his head, to see his doubts as he made the best decisions he knew how. I think of my favorite lines in the book was this:

"Leaders need to see clearly in darkness, Peregrine. You already do that."

I didn't feel as connected with Aria in this book but I felt that the focus was shifted to Perry and Roar. Aria was there to support these two men as they both went through their own journeys, some not ending as happy as they wanted. In the end I liked how all the groups came together and I am excited to seem them venture in the Still Blue.

Overall, this book was great, one of my favorite dystopian novels I have read in the last year. Now I have to anxiously patiently wait for the third book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what ya think!