Monday, February 18, 2013

Monday Inspiration: Rediscovering

"To Dream anything you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."  -George Bernard Shaw

(Summer 2012- Utah. Nothing like a mountain stream on a hot summer day to remember the things you love)

As a kid or in high school, we, many times, have big goals and dreams. And then you turn 18, go out on your own, live your life and start to realize that those goals and dreams are harder to accomplish. You need time, you need money, you need an education, you need.....But today's inspiration is to not let go of those goals. To rediscover yourself and what makes you, what drives you to succeed and what makes you happy. 

For myself, in high school I use to write stories. I read a lot and it seemed natural that I would write too.  When I graduated and went to college, I remember that my first ever college test was an essay test in history (my major) and I got a D+. Most dealing with how I wrote it. Yep, it sucked. I to take an extra English class and had to write a lot when I first started school. When I left high school, I couldn't write myself out of a paper bag.  Academic writing is a different monster than creative writing or fiction. It is a writing that seems never to  be good enough. Your professors are constantly pointing out where you could improve, or where you lacked. In a way, it gives you tough skin. I easily take constructive criticism in academic writing, it's nothing new for me. When I get good grades in my writing, I get nervous, like maybe the professor didn't actually read it, just glanced over it. 

But, now, as a grad student, I feel that I can write a decent paper. (Or at least, I think I can hehe) I can connect arguments and back it up with peer reviewed information. I feel guilty when I am in a non academic world writing or  about a topic and I don't cite it.

 And, now 7 years later from when I left high school (7 years! That makes me feel old!) , I am again writing for the fun of it. Stories that flood my head, characters that speak in my mind. I don't know if these stories will ever leave my computer or if anyone will ever see them and I don't plan on quitting school and becoming an author, but for now, I feel like I am rediscovering the things I love. And I love it.

So go out, rediscover a hobby, just remember that you can do what you can accomplish goals and dreams. Sometimes it just takes some time, but it can be done :) 



P.S. For those who love books and music, Gabi Daniels is hosting a fun giveaway where you can create a playlist for your favorite characters!! I submitted my playlist, have you?? :) 



3 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this post, Caitlin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fatty liver treatment herbs fatty liver treatment herbs fatty liver treatment herbs

    Feel free to visit my web-site; how to cure fatty liver with diet

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what ya think!