Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Favorite Couple


I have been blessed in my life to be surrounded by so many people who shower me with love and support. It is truly amazing that little ol me is  inspired everyday by the awesome people in my life. So the first thing to say on Valentines Day is THANK YOU. You all know who you are. You all have made me who I am today and I love you guys: family, friends, and everything in between.

Second, when I was asked the question that was posed yesterday on the blog, my mind first went to a certain couple from a book I read while in high school.

I love Sarah Dessen and even at the age of 24, I still read anything that she publishes. I have read all of her books and most of them multiple times. My favorite couple, though, is hands down Wes and Macy from The Truth About Forever.


Macy is struggling with trying to be perfect and Wes comes from a chaotic background. When Macy happens to stumble upon this chaos, she embraces it and soon Wes and Macy start to play a game that leads to some great moments, to a place where together they are perfect, within their own definition.

This book was first published in 2004, and today the YA market has exploded. Many of the books deal with hard issues and how these couples deal with it, but Wes and Macy have such finesse, Dessen is the true expert in YA and I found that this couple was perfect. There was no hot steamy scenes in this book but quite conversations, and complete understanding of each other. I guess this is why I love these two so much. Together they make each other stronger and they are completely content with each other. They don't need to change each other, but completely accept the other.

I guess, I was able to find myself in this book in a way. The first thing I noticed about D when we started to date was that he just let me be, he didn't try to change me but instead embraced what I loved, what I was passionate about and completely supported me. We can sit and not talk, just enjoy each others companies, and at other times he can make me laugh like no one else. He lets me be silly and lets me love.

Our first Christmas together, D and I had only been dating for about a month and a half. So it was that awkward time where it was so new you didnt know you if got him a present and what kind to get. Well, D was spot on in his gift. See I love all the seasons but I love me some winter and pretty sure every winter I am purchasing a new coat. I have a bazillion scarfs, hats, sweaters. Yea, its a problem. So on our first Christmas, my sweet D bought me a beautiful high quality wooden coat rack. Now usually only 80 year old women like coat racks, but for me, it was perfect. I still have it today. It was amazing that after only a short time, D got me a gift that was wholeheartedly ME.

So for me Wes and Macy are one of the best couples out there in written in the pages of books because I can relate, I know that in the chaos D is calm, just as Wes is to Macy and at the same time D brings out the non perfect in, accepting me for who I am. In the end, isn't that all we want??

From The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen:

That was the thing. You just never knew. Forever was so many different things. It was always changing, it was what everything was really all about. It was twenty minutes, or a hundred years, or just this instant, or any instant I wished would last and last. But there was only one truth about forever that really mattered, and that was this: it was happening. Right then, as I ran with Wes into that bright sun, and every moment afterwards. Look, there. Now. Now. Now.


And of course, I will leave you with a long song. I am sure you didn't expect anything less.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what ya think!