Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Book Review: Defect

Defect by Ryann Kerekes

* I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a honest review*

3 Stars for Defect by Ryan Kerekes
       

First I should say that the cover of this book is a bit misleading. It says more hey this could be a hot read. And well it was more on the dystopian/survivialist side of the spectrum. I liked the core of this story, I felt that the this was really a story of survival if anything else. It was gritty in Eve's pursuit to not only survive but to become a solider. Kane was a fun character that was full of evil. He pushes Eve and makes her understand the world she is trying to get into. And then there is Will, quiet strong Will who seems to be always looking out for Eve. The small glimpse of Will in the beginning was so sweet. The romance in this book is quite with brief moments of the characters. I think my favorite part of this book is actually the second part, and I fell in love with a character that we dont see until the last bit of this book.

I really liked the idea of this story, but I also was left wanting a bit more. It was hard for me to connect to some of the characters and I felt like I was missing details. But I prefer books with  a lot of detail, it helps me visualize and connect more with the story so it is possible that this writing style just didn't jibe with me. The second part of the book I loved and I could have read a whole novel about that section. I felt that I got to see a bit more of the person Eve was. And then the ending, man like I said this book could have easily been written into three full length novels. But it was nice to see the HEA as well, to see it put together.

Final Say: If you like dystopians that are about the survival of a person go read this book :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what ya think!