Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Book Review: Fractured

Fractured by Amber Lynn Natusch 

Blurb from Goodreads:


I thought about watching from afar, hidden by the nearby trees or headstones, so I could avoid the onslaught of grief I was sure to be bombarded with. It was cowardly, but I was certain that when faced with the totality of my own grief, I would crumble under the weight of any extra. He was always so strong both physically and emotionally – I selfishly wished for his strength in that moment. If I couldn’t be strong, then I would at least be honorable and bear my pain publicly, for all who loved him to see. It was by my actions that he was about to be put six feet under, and I owed it to him to be there

Fractured is an a great example of a smaller indie published book that is a bit unknown but it is quickly gaining speed. A litte over a year ago, D didn't realize what he was getting into when he gave me a kindle for a graduation present. I have always been an avid reader but my kindle spurred my reading interest and I quickly entered the world of indie/self published books. It is quite the phenomenon. Many books that were being bypassed by traditional publishing houses had huge reader responses. And of course, on the other side, not every self pub/indie book was amazing. But the Caged series by Amber Lynn Natusch is a rare gem in a sea of books. I find myself totally attached to these characters and find them popping up in my mind at random times, like I am trying to remember how an old friend is doing.

"Light eventually falls on even the darkest of corners"

Fractured is the 5th book in the Caged series and Natusch weaves a complex story which asks more questions than answers, but also deals with some of the other issues in this book. Now I have always had a soft spot for Cooper and in the last book I was wanting for him to find his Happily Ever After. I felt in this book some of those things start to fall into place, we get to see more of the overall purpose of Cooper and I loved the direction it was taken. 

Then of course there is the combo of Sean and Cooper. In general, I really do not like overprotective male characters. But Sean and Cooper are perfect in their protective nature, and it makes sense why they each have their own reasons for their actions. Plus it is pretty funny, the pissing matches they get into. I mean Ruby has the uncanny ability to find trouble, or well trouble finds her. 

"...Ruby I was gone for half and hour. How much shit did you manage to stir up in thirty minutes? I gave him a sheepish look that told him everything he needed to know. Knowing my gifts, he scowled in return. "Worst case scenario?" he asked, leading the way down to the car" 

Ruby and Sean, it seems, to be somewhat on the same page and even looks like things might work out. Well of course with some advice from a character I have no trust in, it is really hard to say but I have a feeling that the next book some pretty big secrets are going to unveiled and things are going to get messy. It makes sense with the setting up of trust and strength between Ruby and Sean and that this newly appointed trust will be greatly tested. 

"Every pass drew the lightest hint of sorrow from him, his foreign words coming more frequently- a confession, a purging of remorse for a loss he couldn't quite understand" 

I could go on and on with this book, which I hope to do in the comments, but the final say is that if you havent heard or read the Caged series, take a chance on this gem of a series. You want the characters to be your best friends, you feel for Ruby and the heartache that follows her. You find yourself in awe of the complex story that is woven, the situations that arise, and what is hiding around the corner.....


And while writing this review this song came on random which I think is a perfect song for Ruby. 







Im an Animal by Neko Case
you could say it's my instinct yes, i still have one there's no time to second guess it yes, there are things that i'm still so afraid of but my courage is roaring like the sound of the sun cause it's vain about its mane and will reveal them to no one now i'm an animal you're an animal, too pick up that rock (drink from that lake) i do my best but i'm made of mistakes yes, there are things i'm still quite sure of i love you this hour this hour today and heaven will smell like the airport (airport) but i may never get there to prove it so let's not waste our time thinking how that ain't fair i'm an animal you're an animal, too you're an animal, too 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what ya think!