Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Oh For the Love of Brennus

*Spoilers Ahead. If you have not read these books, beware. Spoilers*

It was this book that made me fall madly in love with the man that is Brennus, a evil undead man who uses his power to get what he wants but uses his love to woo the only women he wants as his queen.

 I love Bartol's Premonition series and Brennus is one of my favorite characters out there. He is on the mission of being Evie's one and only love (good luck Brennus, there a few in that race;) and Brennus will stop at nothing to have Evie by his side, as his queen. The best part, is that you can see at times how torn Evie is with Brennus. 

" I know that I have been a hostage here, his prisoner, but I'm also so confused about everything. He is seduction in the flesh. He keeps finding all the things that I crave and giving them to me. That is a powerful drug. It was easy to resist him when he didn't know me, but now that he does, it's making things much, much harder" Indebted 

So you see, Brennus has a lot of power and I think his love for Evie is real. Brennus wasn't always evil, he actually did the things he did for his brother. For Brennus, Evie represents the one thing he did right, the one way for him to correct the many evil things he has done. His interest in Evie is authentic and true. He, for the most part, keeps Evie in the know. He includes her in a way which Reed doesn't, at least from how I see it. And maybe that is why I like Brennus so much. For all of his shady ways Brennus does include Evie, together they make a team. A twisted team, none less. A team that brings out a different side to Evie. I might dare say a stronger side of Evie. Reed is so protective of Evie and I don't think he  gives her enough credit for what she is capable of.

Plus I tend to believe that Evie is a bit of redemption for Brennus, though he thinks that he can never be saved. And then of course there are many situations that Brennus takes a selfless approach and helps Evie out, even if it doesn't benefit him. His love for Evie is worth more than him than the power he holds. I don't think Brennus would ever admit that, of course. It's ok Brennus, you secret is safe with me ;) It seems that he is only doing what he can to survive, what is expected of him when it comes to some of his more shady tactics.

"However, when yer wee isle incinerated and I believed dat me fellas had annihilated ye, something happened ta me...I learned dat dere is a raging depth of pain dat I had yet to experience...'Twas na remorse...'Twas a loss on a scale I had never imagined. 'Twas an agony dat even da death of me own heart, or da heart of me brudder, could na equal" Incendairy 

In the end, I applaud you Amy Bartol and your genius work in creating the complexity and amaziness of Brennus. Plus the rest of the gang are all pretty epic as well. Let me know if you love Brennus too!!

6 comments:

  1. I have this love-hate relationship with Brennus. He's a really twisted character-- sometimes I do feel like his feelings for Evie are genuine, but then other times I just find him a bit creepy ! I am definitely on Team Reed, but I have to agree with you that Amy has done an impeccable job at creating a complex character that gives me very complex feelings, lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there are DEF times where I am like uhhh Brennus what are you doing!!! lol. I feel torn most times, I just wish Reed would treat Evie more as a partner. Reed puts Evie on a pretty high pedal stool and it almost hurts her in a way.

      Delete
  2. Caitlin: I loooooooooooooooooove this post...LOVE IT!! I adore the quote you picked. Have you added that to goodreads? If not, let me know and I can add it for you. :) I will promote your FB once I gain access back...I'm kinda in FB jail at the moment. Can you believe it? Anyway, you had me at Brennus! He's by far my favorite book boyfriend and truth be told, no one compares. I hope Amy doesn't kill him off in Iniquity because that's the uneasy feeling I get(I'm totally stressing myself out!) I will mourn his loss like no other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!! And no I havent added those quotes to goodreads. Feel free to. :) UGH I hope she doesnt kill off Brennus, get rid of Xavier if anything I dont get good vibes from him! And truth, there really is no one who compres to Brennus!

      Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  3. Evie can't be trusted, her need to protect those she loves is far worse than the way Reed protects her. Brennus has to bite to win her over, now that.. is manipulation at its finest. Sorry, no love for Brennus, well maybe a half a second. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I will totally take a half a second!!! hehe. Some won't even give him that.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Tell me what ya think!