Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Book Review: Experiment In Terror Series

Experiment In Terror Series by Karina Halle



Blurb From Goodreads for DarkHouse:

With all the vampire, werewolf and faerie books out there, it's easy to become numb to all things supernatural. The antidote? Darkhouse introduces two real and unforgettable characters, Perry Palomino & Dex Foray, amateur ghost hunters who are "attractive, relatable and oddly heroic," "flawed but loveable," "slightly crazy" and just the most endearing pair to ever tackle the paranormal...just don't call them normal. Darkhouse is a thrilling and sexy new take on concepts like Supernatural and The X-Files, bringing a breath of fresh air to a genre that has been inundated with the dead. ***Darkhouse and the Experiment in Terror series is a horror/romance for mature audiences only. Readers who are easily offended by harsh language should think twice about reading it.***

The Experiment In Terror series is a 9 part series with the first 6 books out as well as 4 short novellas. I should preface that there is no way you will find me watching any horror films, and you wont find me in haunted houses during Halloween. Nope. Not my cup of tea. But, of course that doesn't mean I can't read about it and I pretty much devoured these books! I had read Halle's Sins and Needles (which is in equally awesome book) and DarkHouse, the first book in this series, had been sitting on my kindle for over a month, just begging for me to read it.

I finally sat down last Monday and soon found that my productivity levels were down because I couldn't stop reading these books. Seriously. It was bad. I think I talked to my husband last week??

Any who, Halle creates Dex and Perry and I must say that I have never encountered a team that deals with so many obstacles, are so screwed up, and generally luck is not on their side. But, I have also never seen a couple who are so right for each other. The reason why I liked these books so much was because Halle writes these characters in all my favorite ways. It is best to say that this couple is on a really long first date. I love their snarky banter and I found that when they are together I am constantly laughing. IHalle doesn't follow a lot of the rules other there when dealing with these two and I enjoyed how there isn't that desperate need for each other, I mean it's there dont get me wrong, but its not done in pathetic way. Dex and Perry are so real, crazy notions aside, and together they have such a natural way to them. Many times authors try to point out that their characters are soul mates, but I see this term exemplified in Dex and Perry. A bit broken of course and not in any way perfect, but real.

And of course there is the horror aspect of these books. It is legit. There were times I was totally scared out of my wits. The trip on D'Arcy island was the most terrifying for me. Not only the fear from the island itself but the fear of Dex and Perry dealing with each other. I really wanted them to stay on that boat! :)

I loved these books so much that it is hard to describe how amazing they are. So I guess the best is to give you a few glimpses into these two's cracked out relationship.

"You are short. And I know you can be sweet when you want to be. But there are different kinds of dangerous kiddo. I'm just going to leave it at that" (Darkhouse)

"'Really brings out your eyes," Dex said, standing behind me, meeting my gaze in the mirror's reflection. It was almost romantic. Then he said, 'They aren't as angry as usual" (Dead Sky Morning)

"But it was true. We were no good on your own. Only together did things make any sense" (The Lying Season) 

So in the end, if you like books that are forever about the tension between two people are are so right for each other but are face many many obstacles, then grab this series. You wont regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what ya think!